Superintendent's District Update

The Falls City Public Schools held a special planning workshop and its regular monthly board meeting on Monday, July 12, 2021. Here are the highlights of the meetings.

Renewal and Acceleration for ESSER III American Rescue Planning Workshop  -  The Renewal and Acceleration Planning team, consisting of the District 56 Board of Education and Superintendent, met in special session to coordinate the planning for ESSER III. The planning team is responsible for creating the district’s Renewal and Acceleration strategy, in-person instructional strategy plan, and budget. The planning session included a review of American Rescue Plan allowable use of funds, the review of relevant stakeholder survey feedback, and prioritizing School District 56 needs. The input from the work session will inform the plan for use of federal ESSER III funds and focus on the return on investments for District 56 students and educators. Priority school investments through the ESSER III will include at least 20% of the program funds dedicated for the implementation of evidence-based instructional materials, curriculum updates, summer school, and instructional technology; with the remaining 80% allocated to 1) upgrade and replacement projects to improve the indoor air quality in the schools, and 2) providing additional guidance counseling and mental health services and supports for students and educators. The timeline for qualified ESSER III funded activities runs through September 2024 for the nearly $1.4 million in School District 56 allocated American Rescue Plan-ESSER III dollars.

            Nebraska Extension/University of Nebraska – Lincoln Partnership – The Falls City Public Schools continues the ongoing partnership for the upcoming school year by committing school district funds for the support of the 4-H Extension Assistant position in Richardson County, held by Jami Ankrom. The partnership between Nebraska Extension and FCPS allows Jami Ankrom to provide a variety of educational programs to our local youth through school enrichment, after-school, and other human development programs. The position is funded through a partnership with UNL, FCPS, Falls City EDGE, Richardson County, and HTRS.

The District 56 Board of Education acted on several items before concluding the regular meeting. 

1.     Approved the Final Reading on Policy Reviews and Revisions: 1) 2211 Conflict of Interest; 2) 4232 Fiscal Management for Purchasing and Procurement, Suspension, and Debarment Governed by Federal Procurement Regulations; 3) 5312 Bidding for Construction, Remodeling, Repair or Related Projects Financed with Federal Funds; 4) 5313 Design-Build Contracts; 5) 5314 Construction Management At Risk Contracts; 6) 5315 Bidding for Construction, Remodeling, Repair or Site Improvement; 7) 8216 Reading Instruction and Intervention; 8) 5111 Budget and Property Tax Request.

2.     Set Budget and Property Tax Hearings for September 13, 2021 at 6:00 P.M.

3.     Adopted a Resolution Opposing the Proposed NDE Health Standards.

4.     Adopted a Resolution to enter into a Contract with a Qualified Energy Services Company (ESCO) and follow the Request for Proposal (RFP) process per Federal requirements for ESSER III funding.

5.     Approved Nebraska Extension/University of Nebraska – Lincoln Partnership Funding Request for 2021-2022 at a commitment of $8,248.

The next regular monthly Board of Education meeting is scheduled for August 8, 2021 at 7:00 P.M. in the Central Office in Falls City Middle School. Regular and special meeting agendas are kept in the Office of the Superintendent, Tim Heckenlively.

Falls City Public School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, citizenship status or economic status in its programs, activities and employment.