Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Falls City



Ajax Loading Image


FCPS Nurse Information


Jenny Helmick – School Nurse
1415 Morton Street Falls City, NE  68355
Phone – 402-245-3455    Fax – 402-245-2022

www.fctigers.org        jhelmick@fallscityps.org


My name is Jenny Helmick.  I am a Registered Nurse with experience in Hospitals, Long Term Care, and Dialysis.  I have worked in the Falls City Public School District since 2016.  I usually spend two hours at each school and respond when called to assess a student as needed otherwise.  I assess students upon request and give referrals for doctor visits or teaching for improved health.  I do not diagnose students or prescribe treatments.  I review medications and orders for treatments to be sure the school district is following all the regulations by state law.  Several staff members go through unlicensed assistive personnel training to help me accomplish this for the district.  Health care plans are written by myself for any child with a healthcare need that may require emergency services.  I attend many meetings for students with healthcare concerns. 



The school board shall require evidence of (a) a physical examination​ by a physician, a physician assistant, or an advanced practice registered nurse within six months prior to the entrance of a child into the beginner grade​ and the seventh grade​ or, in the case of a transfer from out of state​, to any other grade of the local school. (b) Visual evaluation​ by a physician, physician assistant, an advanced practice registered nurse, or an optometrist within six months prior to the entrance of a child into the beginner grade​ or, in the case of a transfer from out of state​, to any other grade of the local school, which consists of testing for amblyopia, strabismus, and internal and external eye health, with testing sufficient to determine visual acuity, except that no such physical examination or visual evaluation shall be required of any child whose parent or guardian objects in writing (please request waiver form from school). The cost of such physical examination and visual evaluation shall be borne by the parent or guardian of each child who is examined. If you need assistance in covering the cost of a physical or vision evaluation, contact the school. Nebraska Revised Statutes 79-214 (excerpt).  Any student wishing to participate in athletics for grades 7-12 must have an NSAA physical, consent and the sports accident insurance filled out.  Health histories are volunteer and helpful in providing needed information to the school nurse to determine if there is a need for a health care plan or interventions in the classroom to assist the student in learning.


NSAA Sports Consent Form

NSAA Pre-Participation Physical

Sports Accident Insurance

Kindergarten or New to NE Physical

Vision Evaluation

Health History- Preschool to Sixth Grade

Health History- Seventh through Graduation

Waiver of physical or vision evaluation

NSAA Skin Lesion Form



In Nebraska, children can't attend classes in public or private school until the school has written proof of their immunization status (Neb. Rev. Stat.  §§ 79-217 through 79-253) or appropriate religious or medical waiver filed with the school.  To attend school, children in Nebraska are required to be immunized against the following diseases:


3 doses of DTaP, DTP, DT, or Td vaccine, one given on or after the 4th birthday

3 doses of Polio vaccine

3 doses of pediatric Hepatitis B vaccine or 2 doses of adolescent vaccine if student is 11-15 years of age

2 doses of MMR or MMRV vaccine, given on or after 12 months of age and separated by at least one month

2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) or MMRV given on or after 12 months of age. Written documentation (including year) of varicella disease from parent, guardian, or health care provider will be accepted. If the child has had varicella disease, they do not need any varicella shots.


Religious-Affidavit Vaccination Waiver

Medical Vaccination Waiver



All students must have a certified copy of a birth certificate on file.  This may take several days to get if you need to request a new one.  You may visit http://dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/vital-records.aspx#birthcertificate to request a new birth certificate.



Students must leave school if they have a temperature of 100F degrees, diarrhea, vomiting, communicable diseases (e.g. ringworm, pink eye, chickenpox, unidentified rash) or at the discretion of the school nurse or other school personnel.  If the student is sent home for fever over 100F; they must stay home until fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medication.  We may check temperature upon return to school and at intervals as needed. If a student becomes ill while at school, he/she will obtain a pass from a teacher to go to the Health Office. The nurse or office personnel will help however possible. The nurse is forbidden by law to diagnose or to dispense medication unless the student is under the direct supervision of a medical doctor. If any pupil develops symptoms of illness or is injured at school, the parent, guardian, or any person designated on the pupil’s enrollment card can be notified. If deemed necessary by school personnel, they will be requested to take the student home or make arrangements for the student to go home and/or get medical attention. Students may not check themselves out of school.



Prescription medications, which must be administered during school hours, may be administered when the following are on file at school:  A physician’s signed, dated authorization including the name of the medication, dosage, administration route, time to be given at school, and the reason the child is receiving the medication or a guardian signed and dated authorization medication form to administer the medication during school. The medication must be in its original packaging and labeled as dispensed by the prescriber or pharmacist. The label must name the child and identify the medication, strength, time internal and route to be administered. Two labeled containers may be requested at your pharmacy; one for home and one for school. If needed, the physician or pharmacist may be contacted for clarification on medication administration.

Medication Administration Form



ESU is a team of nurses that aid in required health assessment of all students per state law.  They also provide training and assistance with other needs.  They will be at Falls City Public School at the beginning of each year and will assess hearing, vision, dental, height/weight and for lice. In Nebraska, school health screening is addressed in Neb. Rev. Stat. 79-248 through 79-253. Neb. Rev. Stat. 79-248 specifically names hearing, vision, and dental screening as screening requirements of schools. 



The state of NE requires the school to have an Asthma and Allergy Reaction Protocol.  This is a standing order signed by a local physician that gives permission for trained staff members to administer an Epi-pen and Albuterol in the case of a life threatening situation.  Students and families like to bring in a variety of animals and treats for “show and tell” or other purposes throughout the school year. We want everyone to be able to enjoy with minimal health risks.  Please understand that even though your child may never have had an allergy or asthma problem in the past, that doesn’t mean that things can’t change. This change may occur while your child is at school considering they are exposed to different chemical fumes, perfumes, foods, insects, etc.  This form is to be done every year for each student.  You are required to provide your own Epi-pen and individualized plan for any child who has one prescribed.


Asthma Allergy Form with OTC Permission on Back

Self Management of Asthma Allergy Medication


I am always available by email (jhelmick@fallscityps.org) and phone at your students' school for any questions or concerns.  The school knows how to contact me when I am needed.  It is not an inconvenience.  If I am with a student or in a meeting, I will attempt to call back at a later time.